Sunday, October 5, 2008

This is ... my favourite kitchen thing

It's been a while since I participated in "This is ...". I needed a break from having to exercise my brain every Sunday, and well, I just got lazy.

My kitchen is close to my heart (and my belly). I think I sometimes do my best work in amongst it's vile yellow cupboards and it's 1972 oven and barely-working stove. When it comes to gadgets, I had to think long and hard about it - I could have shown you my coffee grinder (not used since my
stomach decided it could no longer abide home-brewed coffee)*, or my hand held beaters with the dough kneading attachment, or the food processor which almost killed me one day when the lid flew off while it was in action (although really, Killer, as I've christened it, cannot be classified as a favourite thing at all).

One of the only things I absolutely have a hankering for these days is tea. I have a few tea pots, and assorted gadgets collected over the years to enable easy tea making.

There's this - the Dutch Tea Strainer (although every Dutch person I know has no idea why this tea strainer is called Dutch). It's very handy and much less drippy than using a conventional tea strainer.

Dutch tea strainer

Then there's my multiple tea infusers, handy for work when you don't feel up to coping with a soggy bag of Lipton's. Mr QM calls this "Snapper Tea".

Snapper tea

And then there's this - my absolute favourite. It's a vintage Pyrex tea pot I picked up a few months ago for a couple of dollars at an op shop. It's not often that the same item will appear in two different "This is ..." posts!

Pyrex tea pot

It even has it's tea infuser, which many don't have anymore. The best thing is it makes the BEST tea. Hot, and strong, but not at all bitter. And it looks so bloody good at the same time. You just can't beat that design. And the added bonus? No drips!


* It should be noted that yesterday, however, while spending a lovely yarny afternoon with some lovely people at a cafe, I had not one, but two strong lattes. They were lovely, although they did make me shake something awful. Which didn't help at all when a drunk teenager rammed the back of my car (no injuries, not much damage) on the way home. As if I wasn't shaky enough. Sheesh.

Edited to add: I'M FINE! STOP WORRYING! And the car bumper only has some chips on it, so it'll be fine too. My life isn't that bad, is it? The comments make me think it's just one disaster after another, and it's not, I'm sure of it. Concentrate on the teapot and tell me how pretty it is! ;-)

22 comments:

  1. poor you. i wasn't expecting that postscript. i'm so glad that your car wasn't too badly damaged, and hope you will feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG. It's all happening in your world just at the moment isn't it. I'm glad you're OK.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodness! I'm glad you're OK - how scary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Drunk teenager? Holy cow batman, you are copping your fair share (or more) these days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh what a pretty tea pot!

    (Maybe just one coffee at a time is the way to go. Not that that would change the drunk driving teenager problem - that's more my job. Glad you're ok.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The teapot is very pretty - and I'm glad you're okay!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm, being crashed into by a drunk tennager always spoils the weekend (having had something like that happen before; and that particular driver also gave me a false name and address before skiving off, the ratbag).

    Anyhoo, I love your teapot. I'm not a proper tea drinker myself (only herbal) but I think its a beautiful shape and I love the handle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty pretty teapot :)

    (Just following orders, mam ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, very lovely teapot!!

    Im all righteous about that drunk teen, but I'll go and vent to Beloved ;-) Glad there's no damage / injuries

    ReplyDelete
  10. your teapot is very pretty, and im not just saying that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey my mum has one of those dutch tea strainers, I think my Oma used to have one too! They work quite well. Me I prefer a supersized (cup size) tea strainer that sits completely inside your cup (got it from T2) I don't often have cause to make a whole pot of tea so this is more convenient. Love the teapot, sorry to hear about the car, at least no one was hurt.
    Thanks for the birthday wishes!! Have a good week, good luck with the new job!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. well I'm glad to hear you're ok. But I'm certain that's a very shitty thing to have happened.

    I LOVE your tea bits and pieces, being a big tea fan myself.

    ReplyDelete
  13. pretty pretty teapot. Groovy strainer. bloody drunk teenager. bugger. welocme back to the latte side....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your teapot is very pretty (I won't mention anything else)!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree with rachael's sentiments 100%.
    Great tea pot, love the glass teapot-ness and it must be nice to watch the colours swirl when the hot water goes in.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm very glad you're okay. Hopefully that teenager learned something; he's lucky he didn't kill someone. Every now and then it hits me that eight years will go by very fast and I will be dealing with two teenage boys who will want to drive and date and experiment. I should have had children younger, so as to have more coping skills when they hit adolescence.

    Pretty teapot. I do like Pyrex.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! Err..... ummm.... lovely teapot.


    (how was that?)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm glad you are alright! Can I stop over for some tea??

    ReplyDelete
  19. forget the crash - you use teapots! oh I think I have a crush on you! I was beginning to think that I was alone in my teapot love affair and banned teabags from my house years ago. Do you make shop assistants get water to check the pouring quality too? or is that just me?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Tea in a pot is so much better, although we just use the Dilmar bags, so not totally tea gormet!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I do love a teapot that doesn't drip - perfection! Must get me one of those dutch tea strainers, much easier than a standard one by the looks of it.

    (stupid drunk teenager. sigh. my husband and I rant over young drivers all the time. Yep, he turned 40 yesterday!)

    ReplyDelete
  22. That teapot rules, what a find!

    Glad no one was hurt in the minor automobile altercation.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love reading your comments, but if you're anonymous please tell me who you are.