Sunday, August 7, 2011

This wonky life

It's almost as if my life parallels the quilt I am currently making. This quilt = wonky.

Trimming

My life = also wonky. But I'm working on it. Recovery from major surgery is hard, and long, and so, so slow. But this quilt is helping me feel more normal, and it's giving me energy thinking of all the quilts that are going to come after this one.

Assembled

I finished the wonky quilt top this morning. After looking at the quilt blocks with the grey and white backgrounds on the design wall for a couple of days, I decided that the grey made the blocks sink into the background fabric, whereas the white gave the blocks more dimension. This is not a quilt that wants to hide, so I went with the white.

Top finished

Anyway, I really like this quilt. A lot. I think it's clever that it is made from only two fabrics, but looks like it has been made from sixteen. I like that yet again I've broken every rule in the quilting rule book. I like that this quilt possesses my thoughts during the day, and in my dreams, as I come up with ways to make it really sing with what I have in my stash.

I still have to make the backing and scrounge for some batting in the stash baskets. I want this quilt to be made entirely of stash materials. But while the quilt top was still on the design wall this afternoon I decided to work out how I was going to hand quilt it.

Marking the quilting lines

A ruler, an erasable pencil, and some imagination is all it took. Once the backing and batting have been sourced, I'll layer them all together and make this the project that keeps my knees warm for the rest of winter while I hand quilt it.

Perle cottons

In searching for perle cottons to quilt with, though, I came up short. I want the colours to be perfect, and these are not the right ones for this quilt.

Looks like I'll have to go shopping after all.


Project sack

P.S I had one project bag left over from the market in July, so I've listed it on Etsy in case you were interested.

11 comments:

  1. I am still in love with the wonk! Fantastic! I wonder if the quilting will be a little wonk too? Am excited to see!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you went for the white! My favourite too! Hope you're recovery won't be too much longer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh i really like your wonky quilt top - it looks great! It's so nice to see you quilting and crocheting again! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. The quilt is looking fantastic. The white really does make the block pop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love love love this quilt top - the colours, the wonkiness, the pop against the white. It just makes me happy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous wonkiness! Love that you only used two fabrics and it all came from your stash.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I love this quilt - it's gorgeous! But more importantly, I'm thinking of you .... hope you feel better soon. I know it's really hard to get your life back to normal after surgery and ongoing health problems. Lots of hugs and happy thoughts are heading your way from little ol' Brunswick East!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know I'm entirely signed up to wonksville. Onward! (Oh, and Perle 8 purchasings simply don’t count. Stash essentials I would think).

    PS. Your last comment over at mine, has to be one of the nicest ever.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how it's come together, the white has made your wonky square really POP! They look excellent :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your quilt looks beautiful and with the white background those wonky squares really pop - you should be chuffed with the results.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looking for to seeing your quilting on this great quilt - my Elephant Quilt will be hand quilted using Perle thread, too!
    Hugs - Lurline♥

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love reading your comments, but if you're anonymous please tell me who you are.