Wednesday, January 7, 2015

The Simplicity 2247 "It'll Do" Muslin

If you were reading back in March and April 2012, you might remember I had to make a formal frock for my niece's wedding, and while the dress itself turned out ok after numerous fitting disasters, I had also made a muslin, which I eventually abandoned as I just ran out of time and patience.

When I was cleaning up my stash cupboard before we left for Japan, I noticed the dress there, lonely, and unfinished except for the hem and facings.  Should be a doddle to finish this off, I thought. I'll get right onto it when I get home, and then I'll have a nice new summer frock for work.

Simplicity 2247 Amazing Fit

This is the photo where I look really, really pleased with what a splendid example of home sewing I have made.


Simplicity 2247 Amazing Fit

This photo is how I really feel about it.

So yeah, it wasn't really a doddle. Thanks to the blog post mentioned above, I finally remembered what state I'd left it in. I recut a whole new bodice with a C cup (I don't think I've been a C cup since I was 13). And I still had side boob issues. And it kept getting worse from there every time I tried to fix something.

  • I took in the princess seam at the upper bust by 2 inches (that's a 2 inch total on each seam, people!) which left me with a little bit less side boob, but a lot more gape. 
  • I added a freaking side boob dart to take out some of the excess. Tacky. And more gape
  • I wanted to throw it in the bin, but you know. Stubborn.
  • So I took the shoulder seams up 
  • I then recut the armholes freehand.
  • I still wanted to throw it in the bin.
  • I bound the armholes rather than redrafting the facing
  • I sewed up the back rather than insert a zip (it's stretch sateen. As long as I don't have a stiff back or neck that day, it's totally doable in getting on and off)
  • I bound the hem as well and holy crap I have a frock.  

A really badly fitted frock, but a frock that I can wear to work and pretend that that side boob gape thing isn't really happening. Frustratingly, this is the only home sewn item that my workmates have admired.

Simplicity 2247 Amazing Fit

The good news is I have somewhere to stow my lunch when I catch the bus to work.

Simplicity 2247 Amazing Fit

Ooh hellloooooooo scoliosis! That's what my physio has been banging on about! And I probably should have recut that back armhole a lot more, but eh.

Simplicity 2247 Amazing Fit

A note on the bound hem. As this dress was already far too short for work I decided a normal 1 inch hem would be horrible, so I bound with store bought binding. I actually quite like the effect on the gored skirt - I get a bit of a twirly skirt as a result.

(You would have had photographic evidence of the twirling except I'm pretty sure the lifting nails on our old deck would have tripped me up...)

Simplicity 2247 Amazing Fit

If I stand like this all the time no one will notice the fit issues! And I look like a superhero...

Pattern: Simplicity 2247 Amazing Shit Fit
Fabric: Stretch Sateen from Spotlight. It's rubbish, and the black runs into the white everytime I wash it and dare to let it sit in the washing machine for more than 5 minutes.
Notions: binding tape, thread, and a lot of swear words.
Adjustments: too many to mention
Started: March 2012
Finished: December 2014
Make again?: Absolutely bloody not

14 comments:

  1. Absolutely gorgeously fabulous!!! At this point I'm jealous of wearing a uniform to work ( which I love) as it's cut from clothes sewing in half!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephanie! I'd be devo if I had a uniform for work - I love making clothes too much!

      Delete
  2. It still looks lovely to me. :) At least it looks cool and comfy for hot days and you look chic at the same time, so win-win? I'm still looking for my perfect summer dress, which I haven't found yet...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! It was 34 degrees Celsius today and this was perfect to wear!

      I wonder whether this style might work for you Tanya? It doesn't fit a pear so well as the bodice is drafted a bit too big, but with your grading skills I reckon it could be a goer. I can send you the pattern if you like!

      Delete
  3. Bwah ha ha! Your lunch will be secure now! I give you five points and a gin for persistence!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a LOT of perseverance. I think that should be 8 points, a gin and a martini!

      Delete
  4. Bwahahaha ....love it. There is somewhere out there a fellow sewist who sticks to a dying project like me. Stubborn is my middle, first and last name......but sometimes I have been known to chuck it in. Throw a cardy on in winter and its a winner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stubborn S Stubborn! I think we may be related! And yes to the cardi - it looks great with every colour cardi! Definitely will take me into early autumn, this dress.

      Delete
  5. you are TOO FUNNY! it does photograph well, especially with such an expressive model ;).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Oona, if you only knew the TEARS OF FRUSTRATION that have stained this dress! Actually you probably do - you've seen the face :P

      Delete
  6. I have that pattern and was wondering about trying it this summer. Now I am in a quandry!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give it a go! Just be aware that there is a LOT of upper boob room. I also have a long chest and low bust as a result, so always have problems in that area. Used to joke I didn't need a FBA, but a LBA (low bust adjustment). One the upside, if the bodice doesn't work out for you, whack a waistband on that skirt, because it's a beauty!

      Delete
  7. I can't believe anyone could really be that stubborn. It needs some special award. I would never ever have got to the end of that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the Dutch blood. We never, ever back down. (If only I could back down from cheese though. My arteries would probably appreciate that ...)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I love reading your comments, but if you're anonymous please tell me who you are.