Friday, February 20, 2015

Not a finisher

Design Wall today

This is my design wall at the moment.

There is really no plan here - just the start of six quilts I'll probably never finish.

Oh dear - that sounded a bit negative didn't it?! But in reality I did a bit of a mental stocktake the other day of all the quilts I have started, half finished, almost finished and just-need-to-quilt-it and just-need-to-bind-it.  And there are a lot.

The reason I did a mental stocktake was because just before I fell asleep the other night, I had decided  I wanted to make a really epic quilt.  Super epic. Preferably by hand. I didn't have a quilt in mind - although La Passacaglia papers have been patiently waiting for me since July last year.

And then it struck me.

Chester Criswell

I'm already making epic quilts.  I just have to bloody well finish them.

I'm making the Chester Criswell Quilt. Hexy MF. Anna Brereton. The Lotta Jansdotter Hexies.

Lucy Boston

And Lucy Boston.

Orange Peel blocks

And I've got some crazy plans for some needleturned orange peels (I'm just not entirely sure what sort of crazy, and how crazy it will get).

And then there is the Red Maple Leaf Quilt which is getting so close.

The funny thing is, I've always been more of a starter than a finisher, and in the last year I've worked at being at peace with that. But you know, it might be nice to finish something.  Anything, really.

*************************************
Last year, after the Sydney exhibition, Australian Patchwork and Quilting got in touch with me about doing a showcase on my Across the Universe quilt. So that's how my story of my quilting life and two of my quilts got to appear across three pages in the latest edition. (Vol 24 No 8 in case you wondering, Mum. I talk about you a lot.) It feels a little weird being in a major quilting publication, but I'll be back to being anonymous again next month which will make me So. Much. Happier.

Magazine feature




9 comments:

  1. There's lots of great blocks filling up your design wall!! Half the problem of finishing is deciding which one. Congratulations on the article, I'll keep an eye out for a copy at the newsagents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I end up having two sets of projects: those that MUST be finished, and those that can get finished or not, it doesn't matter. (The must category is the gift category, essentially.) I enjoy the second category more, and I think it's just as valid work. The point is: am I happy while I'm doing it? If at any point I'm not, I move on to the next thing.

    I do understand the urge to finish something--anything!--every once in a while, though (especially since I love binding). On those occasions I make improvisational mini quilts, each taking a day or two, without much thought to precision. It slakes that thirst, and then I can get back to taking my sweet time with the other projects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who's to say you need to finish all these in a hurry. Don't put pressure,on yourself - this is supposed to be fun! Congrats on the write up too. Your quilt is beautiful and a worthy winner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So nice to see your Chester County Criswell blocks, I hope you persevere with these ( says me who's about 6 months behind!) Congrats on being published!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So good to see your design wall. I'm always so inspired by your quilting. I reckon as long as your enjoying whatever it is your sewing - then you've achieved something. Congrats about your magazine article!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know I have you filed in my feed reader under 'Rock star bloggers'. True. Rushing out to buy the magazine.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those maple leaves *swoon* I see that wall as one for a rad lady with so many awesome ideas that they keep popping out but more replace them! Either that or you are very sugared up ;) And yay for your article, you sassy rockstar!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I recently read your article in APQ and loved your quilt. I was wanting to make something similar and clicked onto your blog to discover your amazing circle tutorial. Thank,you so much for sharing as I had been struggling with my quilting mojo and you have restored it. I have jumped right in and started my version of your quilt. I thank you for being so inspiring , creative and taking the time to share your skills. Keep calm and quilt on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. congratulations on having your beautiful quilt showcased in print.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love reading your comments, but if you're anonymous please tell me who you are.