Monday, October 5, 2015

Kirsten Kimono Tee(s)

Well goodness me, I wasn't intending to blog today, but here I am sitting at a computer with some photos off my phone and, well, what's a girl to do when she's a bit chuffed but blog?

You see I haven't sewn any clothes since Frocktails back in June. The reason for that is mostly to do with my last post, but also because I've lost quite a bit of weight over the last few months and sewing anything to fit is pointless when you just have to take it in the following month. Taking things in is a royal pain in the butt, and I hate it. Sometimes it's quicker just to make something from scratch.

While I don't actually notice my weight loss on a day-to-day basis (weird, I know), my friends certainly do and I also notice it in my clothes. In winter I wear cardigans and sweaters to work and it doesn't matter if they are a bit big. However skirts falling down around your knees while you're using the photocopier? Definitely an inappropriate time to notice that your skirt is swimming around your hips rather than skimming your waist. We've had a very sudden change of seasons here in Canberra - from a bitterly cold winter to scorching temperatures in just a matter of weeks. Cardigans are definitely OUT. Blouses are in. And while I can take in all my skirts (painful as it is), my beloved collection of cotton tops for work can't be taken in, and no one needs to see that much bra strap as they slip off my shoulders anyway. Basically - I have nothing to wear. Absolutely nothing.

I've had my eye on the Kirsten Kimono Tee from Maria Denmark for the longest time but always worried how it would got over my hips. The other week I just cut the damn thing out and got over my fears. But no sewjo. It returned with a bang on my day off on Friday. Thank heavens I had stuff already cut out.

Sewing

I neglected to add the seam allowance to the pattern. Ugh seam allowances. I know this pattern is a freebie but I didn't need to read about the seam allowance needing to be added half way through the length instructions! Regardless I pushed on. If it didn't fit now, it would fit in a month or so.

I constructed the whole thing on the overlocker except for the neck top stitching, and bottom and sleeve hems. All together it took me half an hour to have a very wearable top.  Let me repeat that - HALF AN HOUR.

Kirsten Kimono Tee

And then I went and took in another skirt and sewed up a new skirt except for the lining. Totally winning at Friday, I was.

On Saturday I sent the hip patient off to his hydrotherapy and took the time to put on a thousand loads of washing and cut out as much as I could on the kitchen table. I cut out another Kirsten Kimono Tee and two skirts. The tee I actually added a 1 cm seam allowance as well - except I added it to the neckline which I wasn't supposed to do (damn you freebie instructions and my inability to read them! I didn't add the seam allowances to the sleeves or the bottom - I liked the length the way it was). Half an hour before the AFL grand final started, I sewed that tee up (and wore it all day Sunday and boy did I feel schnazzy in it, even if the neck was a little higher than I would have liked).

Kirsten Kimono Tee

Then the weekend got kinda busy and OMG GO NORTH QUEENSLAND COWBOYS I'M STILL SO EXCITED! But the good news is the overlocker is still threaded with white thread and I intend finishing the unlined skirt in the next couple of days before I lose another 2 kilos and it's all over and back in the adjusting pile again. Like with every other fantastic skirt in my collection.

Skirt sewing

I have so much knit fabric in my stash, and no tops, and this is quick and easy and looks pretty nice on. I have plans for a couple of work t-shirts as well, and then maybe I'll move on to another pretty top, like the StyleArc Skye.

Anyway this little sewing jaunt over the weekend has proven to me I don't need anything complex to make me happy. It just needs to be easy, quick and fit well. Anything else is gravy.

18 comments:

  1. I'm completely chuffed that you are chuffed! And so funny that I also forgot the seam allowance and made it too small with my first one, I had to give it away. This is my go to pattern for the not to stretchy jerseys, like to snausages. Now I hope this weight loss is wanted and not for any other reason, it sounds on going so i'm kinda worried. Email me and reassure me you're ok! As long as you are, you're looking fab!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all good, and deliberate! And yes I think this might be my favourite go-to knit pattern. I'm not a fan of sewing knits generally, but I am now!

      Delete
  2. go Michelle go!!! That doggie print!

    I have to force myself to read instructions, and even then I have to go over them repeatedly before I really follow them. Makes for interesting variations, tho ;)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah - I'm usually doing a quick glance over the diagrams because VISUAL and then I get myself in a massive shamozzle because whoops should have actually read the words ...

      You'd think after all these years of sewing I'd learn, right? But no. Stubborn Michelle is stubborn.

      Delete
  3. You go girl! I'm so sorry to hear about your year. Somehow I missed that last post. I hope your back is fixable and it's not too late (says the clinical Pilates instructor in me). And your tees! They are fabbbbbbbb! I also have been eyeing this pattern forever. Maybe I just need to kick myself in the butt and get moving on it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately not fixable without surgery (which I won't do), but there are workarounds. Turns out core muscles are pretty awesome for my injury! Now lady- you need to get on this pattern pronto! It will be fab.

      Delete
  4. BOOM!
    Boss level life achievements AND sewing achievements all wrapped up :D

    Your sausage dog tee is BOSS!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Happy Shirts!! They look great and you look great, together you'll be the toast of the town. You always use the best fabrics, those sausage dogs are extra fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachael my friend - you always make me feel good! The sausage dogs are super fun to wear. Won't deny it!

      Delete
  6. I think we need to find some cactus print at spotlight next so you can keep on this roll! So happy to see you back on 'all the bikes'. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cactus print is from spotlight? I'm there!

      Delete
  7. half an hour!!! I need to get myself that pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do! Would look great with one of your fantastic skirts Bec!

      Delete
  8. Your Kirsten tees look great, gotta love a bit of instant gratification! I'm new to sewing knits and I really like this pattern too, and yep I forgot about the seam allowance too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Felt so good just to be sewing something again! Such a great pattern - my eyes have been opened!

      Delete
  9. Got you open in chrome and I can comment - woot woot thanks for the tip! Love this pattern and your versions. It's such a great quick make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I hate the ipad no-comment thingy. And this pattern is THE BOMB as you know!!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I love reading your comments, but if you're anonymous please tell me who you are.