Back when the Sydney Quilt Show was still at Darling Harbour (probably in 2013), I purchased a pattern called "Lucy in a Hurry" from Cherry Pie Designs. It was a different EPP shape, and the block came out quite large so I thought I could have a crack at it with my usual brighter fabrics rather than the reproductions in the pattern. I remember getting home to Canberra and putting in an order for the papers and template, and I got started soon after they arrived.
I happily made nine blocks of the sixteen blocks required, and then glued them all on background fabric ready for appliqueing. I think I sewed two down ... and then got so bored I put them on the shelf and didn't give them much more thought.
While I was finishing off the large Lotta quilt, I rediscovered them and decided to finish off the nine I had to put into a quilt, and call it done. After all, this year I have only finished two quilts and that just annoys the heck out of me. Also my sewing room is getting out of control - an unavoidable annoyance when you both quilt and sew clothes. There are gadgets for just about everything, and fabric for quilts and clothing and oh my. You should see it. You should see the floor. It's not pretty.
For the last week when I've had fidgetty fingers after work, I've been appliquing those blocks down. I now have six. I ran into Carol from Cherry Pie Designs yesterday at the Canberra Quilt Show, and said how easy they were to applique - really they would probably take only an hour.
Guys, today I timed myself, and it took exactly 35 minutes while watching the Nadal-Del Potro replay.
WHAT. THE. ACTUAL. HECK. What a waste of time having such lovely blocks sitting in the corner for so long. These are the six I've done so far - I'll finish the rest tonight. And then I'm going to start making the other seven blocks and finish the quilt. I have some gorgeous fabric and scraps in the stash and I can't wait to see how they all go together. It will take a bit longer to finish now, but it will be worth it.
I hunted through the sewing room this afternoon and found the papers, but no template. I found a quilting hoop, the missing snips I bought at a quilt show three years ago (yay), and some threads from a prize that I'd forgotten I had, but the template took about an hour of tossing things upside down before I found it.
Sure I'll start making more blocks, but perhaps I should give my sewing room a big clean first.