Sunday, August 14, 2016

I love Lucy

Back when the Sydney Quilt Show was still at Darling Harbour (probably in 2013), I purchased a pattern called "Lucy in a Hurry" from Cherry Pie Designs. It was a different EPP shape, and the block came out quite large so I thought I could have a crack at it with my usual brighter fabrics rather than the reproductions in the pattern. I remember getting home to Canberra and putting in an order for the papers and template, and I got started soon after they arrived.

Lucy in a Hurry block

I happily made nine blocks of the sixteen blocks required, and then glued them all on background fabric ready for appliqueing. I think I sewed two down ... and then got so bored I put them on the shelf and didn't give them much more thought.

Lucy in a Hurry block

While I was finishing off the large Lotta quilt, I rediscovered them and decided to finish off the nine I had to put into a quilt, and call it done. After all, this year I have only finished two quilts and that just annoys the heck out of me. Also my sewing room is getting out of control - an unavoidable annoyance when you both quilt and sew clothes. There are gadgets for just about everything, and fabric for quilts and clothing and oh my. You should see it. You should see the floor. It's not pretty.

For the last week when I've had fidgetty fingers after work, I've been appliquing those blocks down. I now have six. I ran into Carol from Cherry Pie Designs yesterday at the Canberra Quilt Show, and said how easy they were to applique - really they would probably take only an hour.

Lucy in a Hurry block

Guys, today I timed myself, and it took exactly 35 minutes while watching the Nadal-Del Potro replay.

Lucy in a Hurry blocks appliqued

WHAT. THE. ACTUAL. HECK.  What a waste of time having such lovely blocks sitting in the corner for so long. These are the six I've done so far - I'll finish the rest tonight. And then I'm going to start making the other seven blocks and finish the quilt. I have some gorgeous fabric and scraps in the stash and I can't wait to see how they all go together. It will take a bit longer to finish now, but it will be worth it.

I hunted through the sewing room this afternoon and found the papers, but no template. I found a quilting hoop, the missing snips I bought at a quilt show three years ago (yay), and some threads from a prize that I'd forgotten I had, but the template took about an hour of tossing things upside down before I found it.

Lucy Boston honeycomb template

Sure I'll start making more blocks, but perhaps I should give my sewing room a big clean first.

13 comments:

  1. Uber excitement when I saw on instagram you had blogged. I really enjoy seeing your fabric choices for your quilts. You have inspired me to tackle this project - now to get papers and templates as I assume this is an epp block. Thank you for the inspiration. Go your Lucy in a Hurry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's an EPP block - using 1 1/2 inch papers as opposed to the usual 1 inch for the Patchwork of the Crosses original. Thanks Anne!

      Delete
  2. Check you out, speedster! You quilt making has me in awe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nooooooo we don't do speed here! We do procrastination and long and drawn out over this way! The appliqué is incredibly fast though. Why I couldn't work that out three years ago is anyone's guess.

      Delete
  3. Your Lucy Boston blocks are grand. Very pleased you are going to finish out the "quilt". And very impressed that you found the template. I wish I had a system of where to PUT the templates each and every time. The last one I "lost" was found under the keyboard!!! How often do we move our keyboards? At least I just went to the next project and did not actually order a new template but it had been on my mind a few times. So looking forward to Bright Lucy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a basket that fits on my shelf that has all my EPP stuff in it. But the templates are all over the place in that basket. I'm going to get them their own little ziplock bag so they can all hang together. I searched that basket three times before I found the template hidden in a bag of 3 inch hexies!

      Delete
  4. Hi Michelle, I have also decided to appliqué my Lucy Boston blocks to a background square. Yours look terrific! How large are you cutting your backgrounds?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just going by the pattern - the finished blocks are 13 1/2 unfinished. But these are 1 1/2 inch hexagons not the usual 1 inch! I'm afraid I can't give you the measurements you need for that - but you can work it out yourself I'm sure. Just make sure that you allow for an imaginary hexagon in the space between the blocks, and then add seam allowance.

      Delete
  5. I love these!! You put the best fabric combos together. Isn't it great when you fall in love with a project again, with the bonus of it being half done. It's nuts how sewing rooms can get so messy. I sometimes find tidying up can be faster than I think, a bit like appliqueing those fabulous Lucy blocks. Maybe time yourself and it'll be done in no time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachael! I hate cleaning up because I get so distracted. But I spied my linen closet yesterday too and things started tumbling out so that might be on my hit list too. All this is exacerbated by visitors arriving next week, of course. 😉

      Delete
  6. I also bought that pattern a few years ago and have recently been thinking of making it with a dark background. Tganks for the inspiration and happy cleaning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A dark background would be perfect Carole! I hope you make it - I look forward to seeing it.

      Delete
  7. Did you ever finish your Lucy Boston? My "reader" has gotten to dumping groups of old posts and this was one of a dozen today.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love reading your comments, but if you're anonymous please tell me who you are.