Thursday, September 29, 2016

365 Stars

I love birthdays. A lot of people don't, for their own reasons, and that's fine. But five years ago some horrible stuff happened and I almost died, and since then I have tried really hard to see the good side of things, to enjoy every little moment, and to make the most of what I have been given. It gets a little tough sometimes, especially in the last 18 months with my husband picking up a disability, and with our families so far away. But we get by, and we still live a happy and simple life.

For my birthday this year I decided to start a new quilt project (surprise surprise), but with a bit of a twist. I'm going to make a star block every day for 365 days. And it's not just any star block.

Untitled

It's a teensy weensy star, and it's English paper pieced!

Untitled

I've made one every day for the last three days, starting on my birthday on the 27th but my husband bought me the papers as my birthday present over a month ago so I've been slowly preparing fabrics since then.

Untitled

I had decided I wasn't going to fussy cut any of the fabrics, but then the papers arrived and I realised the pieces were a lot smaller than I thought. So now if the fabric deserves to be fussed over, I will. Perhaps.

Untitled

Each star takes about 25 minutes or so. I've been sewing them after I have my shower and breakfast, while drinking my coffee, in the time I'd usually take to read the morning paper. It certainly makes me a lot less stressed in the morning, I've noticed. Some days I'll end up doing it in the evening, but as I've discovered, life is too short for hard and fast rules, and it's only quilting.

Untitled

I'm using the pattern by Karen Styles of Somerset Designs. The pattern arrived with the plastic templates, but because I decided to EPP it instead of hand piecing, I got the papers and acrylic templates from Paper Pieces. I still haven't got much of a plan for these stars.

I'll probably just make it up as I go along. Should be fun!

6 comments:

  1. How big are your stars? Are you going to make it double sided? Going to look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birrhday!!! Yay for the stars project. I've been enjoying seeing your different combos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your story as to why you are making your beautiful stars. Best wishes for the days ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday!
    So glad to hear that the horrible has passed, mostly. =)
    I just LOVE these blocks! 365 of them, wow! They would make a fantastic quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. one a day is a BIG chunk of sewing...... I did about 179 over a ten year span.... granted there were years when I did nothing... but more POWER to you. It is fun to fuss some and fun to just sew others..... I know when it is time to go together you will come up with something.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday Michelle! Your little stars are just so perfectly pieced. Fussy cutting is so worth it and just takes a tiny bit of extra time. Im amazed at how you juggle this type of sewing over breakfast :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love reading your comments, but if you're anonymous please tell me who you are.