Thursday, March 17, 2011

Enlightened

When Canberra has a birthday, she celebrates over a few weeks and with a festival or three thrown in. At the moment, we are being entertained up by the Enlighten Festival, which runs over 10 days and finishes this weekend. There are a variety of music concerts and events, but the main attraction for me are the fact that some of my favourite buildings have been painted in lightand i can see them from free.

Like this.

National Library of Australia

This is the National Library of Australia, a stunning building at the best of times, always looking so imposing by the lake. But tonight it was bathed in some very beautiful images.

National Library of Australia

National Library of Australia

I could have stayed here and watched all night, but I moved on to the National Gallery of Australia. Space to set up my tripod was at a premium as a photography class turned up at the same time as I did. That was kind of fun, and made me extra excited about the photography class I'm starting in a few weeks. If I get the time, I'd like to go back and take some of the shots at the gallery on a different angle.

National Gallery of Australia

National Gallery of Australia

National Gallery of Australia

National Gallery of Australia

Finally, the lights on Old Parliament House, or the Museum of Australian Democracy as it is better known these days.

Old Parliament House/ The Museum of Australian Democracy

These photos took a long time to get right. When I first set up my tripod, I was too far away, even for my zoom lens and tripod and the shots were over exposed and blurry. Eventually I walked right up to the pond, across from the Tent Embassy, and set up there. Much better.

Old Parliament House/ The Museum of Australian Democracy

Old Parliament House/ The Museum of Australian Democracy

Old Parliament House/ The Museum of Australian Democracy

There were a few of us photographers standing by the pond, all taking slow shutter speed photos. It was quite peaceful, just the sound of our timers beeping and the occasional utterance of "cool" and "nice shot". I like photographers.

Old Parliament House/ The Museum of Australian Democracy

Old Parliament House/ The Museum of Australian Democracy

Old Parliament House/ The Museum of Australian Democracy

A lady turned up as part of a group, and started using her camera with a flash. Which was kinda silly when we were standing 100 metres from the building, but also annoying because we were all taking slow shutter shots about 8 to 10 seconds long, and we were getting un-stunning flashy bits in our shots. Luckily she decided to turn her flash off before any of us could turn into Wanker Photographers and growl at her.

Old Parliament House/ The Museum of Australian Democracy

But oh - isn't the old lady beautiful?

13 comments:

  1. Hello,
    Thank you for your comment on my blog. Yes, you can share the video on your blog! Such a lovely blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those photos are amazing! I want a library to look like that near me! I also want the library in 'Bedknobs and broomsticks' where there are floor to ceiling books and a ladder on a rail to slide round the room...sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I thought it couldn't get better from the library with the books! Then there was the stained glass! Then all the others - fab!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. Just wow. Amazing photos and buildings that I am familiar with looking completely amazing! Nice shots ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic photos Michelle, they are just amazing. When did Old Parliament House change its name? to me it will always be called that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your photos are stunning, simply stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How beautiful! I think I saw something in the newspaper (in Sydney) advertising this and had a fleeting thought that we should pop down to see it..... wishing we had now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fun, great photos. We saw them setting up for the same sort of show at the Parliament bldgs in Ottawa a couple of years ago. It was dead of winter, Feb I think, but they were preparing for a light show to be seen on Canada Day, July 1. Takes a lot of time and patience to do something right. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are lovely - would have been worth seeing. Did you go to the fireworks last night? They were pretty good over the lake.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Michelle,

    you got some great shots. I particularly like the last one. Is there a reason you didn't go up to Parliament House?

    Karin

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow these are amazing Michelle.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love reading your comments, but if you're anonymous please tell me who you are.