Saturday, July 23, 2011

Projects lost and forgotten

Recently I was searching for a partially made crocheted cardigan. I had a cold and I wasn't able to sleep, and I wanted to sit up in bed and crochet something.

I found my cardigan in the sewing room, in a bag along with a lost crochet book, lost yarn, lost stitch markers and a lost shawl.

Yes, a lost shawl.

Eva shawl


It's called the Eva shawl, which Thornberry and I challenged each other to make back in September. I remember finishing it on our around my birthday in late September and being a little, ah, perturbed by the 70s colours in the shawl. And then I obviously shoved it in a bag with the cardigan, yarn, stitch markers, and book, all of which became lost and forgotten. And all the shawl had needed was a good blocking.

Eva shawl

Eva shawl

Oddly, the colours don't upset me as much as they did last year, and I really like the shawl. The shape of it drapes nicely around my shoulders, making them very warm although the yarn, Kauni Wool 8/2 Effektgarn isn't the softest stuff ever made, and in fact I would go as far to say that this yarn is scratchy and distinctly un-snuggly. Bummer.

And the forgotten cardigan? Take a look.

Carefree cardigan in progress


I have months to go on this. So slow going. And so heavy that it's hard to hold up when crocheting it. I get tired, and tired of it, very quickly.

Holst Garn shawl - in progress

My latest project is being made using some yarn I bought from my friend Suzy Hausfrau. She has started an online yarn store here in Canberra, importing European yarns. I fell in love with some little skeins of Holst Garn, which is a 2 ply merino and silk lace yarn from Denmark. It's a little stiff when you work with it, but apparently softens up once washed.

Holst Garn shawl - in progress

It's another shawl (because I'm addicted to them). The pattern isn't apparent until you pin it and stretch it out. I'm probably a quarter of the way through this pattern, which is a Japanese by Pierrot yarns. And I love the colour, even though everyone who knows me knows that I don't like purple. If it's any consolation, I also bought some baby alpaca from Suzy in deep burgundy red.

Holst Garn shawl - in progress

But I am loving this shawl, and the yarn and the colour. Maybe I need more purple in my life anyway.

11 comments:

  1. Oh, I think everyone needs a bit of purple in their lives! And it goes so nicely with red, I reckon. Lairy!

    I think the blue saves the lost shawl from being too 70s! If the blue was green, well I wouldn't be as sure, heh!

    I'm very tempted by Suzy Hausfrau's yarns. They look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, purple is a must! It looks like it's going to be beautiful.

    The cardigan looks like it's going to be worth it in the end, even if the getting there is going to be hard. At least you're not on a deadline and can just pick it up when you feel like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know that I love the Eva shawl Michelle! it is a fantastic shape - very wearable. Pity about the scratchy factor though. The purple one is coming along beautifully. What shall we pick for our next crochetalong?

    ReplyDelete
  4. A surprise FO! Nice! It's kind of like when you find money in the pocket of your winter coat after it's been in storage all summer. I like it, I don't think the colours are too seventies. That cardigan looks super cute, too! It's odd to think of something lacey as being heavy. What is the yarn?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that first shawl! The shape of it is gorgeous. I have "lost" sewing projects. I have two projects cut out and half sewn just sitting on my sewing desk. I really need to finish them soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love that Eva shawl. The colours are fabulous. Maybe we can do a swap sometime? A shawl for a painting?

    ReplyDelete
  7. ooooh that purple shawl is BEAUTIFUL! It looks like little flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK so you can accuse me of bias, but I love that purple colour and can't wait to see it finished. BTW - you rock the 70s colours!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i fondled some of that holst garn on the weekend, i think it will wash up nice and soft like the elsbeth lavold. its really lovely, and is just stunning in that shawl.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck with the cardi... so far so wonderful.
    ... be sure not to lose it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How could you loose that shawl it's gorgeous. I love the colours and the yarn - I love Kauni. I have some of it, I must knit it..lol

    Your a wizard with crochet - you actually make it look cool and very wearable, love all these projects.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love reading your comments, but if you're anonymous please tell me who you are.