Saturday, July 14, 2012

Clear air

Carrie and I have a stall at the Old Bus Depot Markets tomorrow, for the Creative Fibre Day. This is usually a lot more relaxed than the Celebration of Wool Day in May, so I'm really looking forward to it!

However there was that little issue of stock. I had none. I bought a lot of fabric in Townsville and Charters Towers to make bags ... and then nothing. Zilch. Absolutely no desire to ever make a bag ever again. I'm not too sure what came over me. I was mentally just not prepared to sew under pressure, and to another deadline.

Making bags for the market

But sew I did, and I eked out six project bags earlier in the week. Then in a flash of late night inspiration, I rummaged through my "cut and ready to sew" box and came across the makings of 15 Sunnyboys and box bags ready to go.

Making bags for the market

A lot of quilting and a lot more sewing later, I had myself the first Sunnyboys and Boxes for Socks I'd made in a couple of years. And they were FUN!

Making bags for the market


My sewjo might be back but first it was time to move my feet. As much as sewing is a major part of my life and a cure for stress and anxiety, moving my body is just as important. Since I climbed Castle Hill the other week, my enthusiasm for getting outside and moving my butt (I hate calling it exercise because I refuse to do it unless it's fun) has increased tenfold.

Bushwalk - Mt Majura Nature Reserve

I have become so addicted to walking through the bush - boring, flat suburban walks do nothing for me anymore. I just wish the days were longer, but they will be soon enough.

Bushwalk - Mt Majura Nature Reserve

I love stopping to catch my breath and spying a mossy mound, or hearing croaking frogs in a dam in the valley below or seeing kangaroos grazing on the field ahead. These photos were taken in a nature reserve not far from my house. There is a mountain I can climb here, but I haven't gotten around to that yet. The bush trails are just too interesting for the moment.

Bushwalk - Mt Majura Nature Reserve

Back to base camp (my house in my boring, flat suburb), and I sort out stock for the market on my ironing board. I have six project sacks, 10 boxes for socks, five Sunnyboys and three needlecases that I found in another box marked "stock".  Lucky.

Making bags for the market

I might have energy to sew another three bags tonight. Or perhaps I'll take my chances with the market tomorrow, relax in front of the footy, make a cup of tea and stitch some more of these.

Hexy MF - 50

Hexy MF - 50

Fifty-two made in a month. I surprise even myself sometimes.






10 comments:

  1. That is my kind of exercise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for moving your butt. I need to do it more than just to change position on the lounge!

    God I love your project bags. All of them. I want ALL THE BAGS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 52 in a month is very impressive. I won't see you tomorrow as we have visitors for lunch, but I am sure all your goodies will fly out the door.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's nothing about this post I don't love! THe beautiful fabric. The return of your sewjo. The lovely walk, oh my! Good luck at the markets, your bags look fabulous and I hope they find owners who love them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything in this post is just delightful.
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, production plus. I yearn to enjoy exercise, but I just can't make it happen ...yet anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just a thought, but maybe you could sell the pattern to your bags or sell kits to make them. That way you don't always have the pressure to sew. They are gorgeous and I'd buy the pattern to a project bag.
    Mandy.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love reading your comments, but if you're anonymous please tell me who you are.