Tuesday, July 24, 2012

How to make an Australian quilt

As I type this, the great movie "How to Make an American Quilt" is playing on the TV which is appropriate as I stitch quickly to finish my Twisted Hexagons quilt for the Canberra Quilters Exhibition.

Twisted Hexagons

I got my quilt back from the longarm quilter a few weeks ago, and then spent over a week agonising. Raylee did a brilliant job on the quilting, however I didn't think through those pointy side bits very well. I mean, I only had seven years to think it over. A night of practicing a different binding technique to get corners that were perfect ended in tears, and a pair of scissors up the sides of the quilt was the only answer.


Twisted Hexagons

I now had straight edges to bind. It doesn't make the quilt as interesting now, but I wasn't really interested in a quilt causing me that much stress.

Twisted hexagons

I hand stitched over 10 metres of binding to the quilt. Binding is my favourite part of quilting, which was just as well.

Twisted Hexagons

Making over 200 blocks weren't enough, and I found myself making one last one for the label.

Twisted Hexagons

No other label would have worked as well.

I still have to sew a hanging sleeve on the quilt, and then on Saturday I hand over custody to the exhibition committee. I won't see it again until the exhibition opens a couple of weeks later. I'm pretty excited about seeing my Twisted Hexagons in the show, after so much work. I've loved making it.

18 comments:

  1. Wow, an amazing job you've done. Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wowzers! it looks fabulous! and it will in the quilt show too :D
    amazing work!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the hexagons and the fabric you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations. It looks sensational. It will steal the show I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. That is amazing! I hope you're allowed to take a photo of it hanging in the show so that we get to see it in its full glory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can take a photo and publish my own quilt - yes! But I can't publish anyone else's quilt unless I get their permission to do so.

      Delete
  6. Wow! It looks amazing, and the quilting is perfect to emphasise the shape and beauty of it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is stunning Michelle!! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's beautiful Michelle, and what a great achievement.

    Was reading your post below too and noticed that absolutely stunning psychedelic looking fabric with the concentric circles on it. Did that one happen to sell at the market, or perhaps it still needs a new home?????

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is stunning. Love the quilting too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The quilt is gorgeous Michelle, such a labour of love :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow that is truly amazing Michelle - you should be feeling very proud of yourself - it looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations! What a beautiful quilt! Sorry it caused you tears before the end. I'm amazed at you hand stitching 10m of binding, that's a lot of binding!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't wait to see it at the Craft Fair. It looks so wonderful in these pictures I bet it's even more magnificent in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow - I don't know what to say... my english is not very good, so I can't write what I want to. Your quilt is so beautiful... just WOW...
    Greetings from Germany
    Kerstin

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so stoked to see this finished. It's a bit like witnessing a baby growing up to be an adult, as I recall the very early days of the hex quilt. I am pleased to be able to say I knew her when she was just a babe!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is a lovely quilt! I did see it on show!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Goodness me, just started with english paper piecing and then I found your blog with this most amazing , sizzling fantastic quilt!It's very very scaringly pretty beyond words........ One day when I'm old and rickety I wouldn't mind showing a quilt like yours to my grandchildren so I could also watch them "gaping" over my quilt!I guess I'm hooked, oh dear......I also want to make one, even if it takes years! Thanks for the motivation, absolutely fantastic!
    Greetings from Germany
    Desire'

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love reading your comments, but if you're anonymous please tell me who you are.