Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Devoid of talent? Stupid? No, just stubborn.

Six days ago I ripped out 9 rows of clamshells because it had a little wonk.  I love wonk, but this would have been too much wonk-on-the-wall and I couldn't deal. So all week, at every opportunity, I have been stitching clams to make up for lost time.

image

In the car on the way to Fyshwick to search out a new washing machine.

image

In front of the Tour de France.

image

In front of Chicago Fire.

image

Mariska never seems to mind me sewing in her company.

image

In the park at lunchtime. Yes, it was 8 degrees. Yes my hands froze off. So I took my hands and my sewing to a coffee shop (no photos).

Finally last night the last stitch went into the clams.  Tonight I trimmed it.

IMG_7483

And then I measured it and botherbotherbother it was out.  So I did what any dressmaker would do - folded it in half with the grainline, and then trimmed from the folded edge. I didn't care which clamshells were in my way.

image

I'M CALLING IT ARTISTIC LICENSE, OK?

image

I even made the perfect backing for it.

IMG_7487

I was on a roll. It's only small. Why not baste it now and start quilting the crap out of it? My back is already screwed - quilting a little quilt can't kill it further.

IMG_7488

Oops. Not enough basting pins.


16 comments:

  1. It looks gorgeous my dear, i am very impressed :) I am thinking about making a quilt for my eldest daughters 10th birthday in december, and then make it a "thing" for the other 4 when they turn 10 :) It will have to be quite simple and very large pieces to get it done in time! Advise my lovely? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen that is the most splendid and lovely idea for your daughter! I have lots of ideas for simple but really effective looking quilts. Let's chat next time we get together!

      Delete
  2. I love your writing. Witty and funny. I don't see anything wrong with your clamshell top. I've never done a clamshell quilt but I'm guessing that it would be easy to add millimetres here and there and then the measurements would varies. I wonder how you'll quilt it once you've found more pins...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks France! That's very kind. Yeah, it's pretty easy to add a mm here and there and before you know it you have some distinctive wonk! I love it though. can't wait to get some more pins on the weekend and quilt it.

      Delete
  3. It's beautiful! Finally at the basting stage and not enough pins, boo! I've had that happen so many times I bought a second box of 300.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I had heaps of pins, but I just basted a huge quilt a few weeks ago and of course haven't gotten around to quilting it yet! I'll get another box on the weekend - shall never run out of pins again!!

      Delete
  4. So beautiful! I've never tried clamshells before. I don't see any cause for concern where you trimmed the top, it looks great as is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I like to say "if you can't see the mistake from the back of a galloping horse, it isn't there". My philosophy for life, actually! Lol

      Delete
  5. It looks fabulous...I love all the "on the go" shots...clams are so hard to keep straight...I think you have done a great job, and really if someone comments about something none of us can see, do you value their opinion anyway?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like taking on-the-go photos because it reminds me of lovely restful times I have had stitching. And no, I don't value opinions of anyone but me, unless they have nice things to say!!

      Delete
  6. Michelle it's going to be stunning! Gosh the backing looks gorgeous as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kick some clam shall butt, lovely! They're looking fierce- and artistic!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love reading your comments, but if you're anonymous please tell me who you are.