Friday, June 3, 2005

I must be in a manic phase

Until 9pm last night, I didn't have an entry for the Canberra Quilt show this year. I was at the Canberra Quilters meeting, and we were getting reminder after reminder about having our forms and photos in within 2 weeks. I had a couple of UFOs I could have finished, but neither were good enough in my opinion to be exhibited.

And then at 9pm I won a prize in the raffle. This is incredible enough - I've never won the CQ raffle before. Normally all those I bring as visitors do, though. So I selected a pack of 30 x 10 inch Jane Sassaman (mostly) squares, and sat back down in my seat. And started thinking.

I hate brainwaves. They always hurt.

By the time I drove home, I had a quilt drafted in my head, using these 10 inch squares. I designed it on paper, planned a Friday afternoon off and a bus trip to the local quilt shop, and then I was on my way to a fitful sleep dreaming of framed squares.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The fabrics on the left are the squares I won last night. The fabrics on the right are the ones I bought as potential frames for the squares on the left.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Of course I have to find time to make this quilt top in time for the photo and entry form to be entered - it should only take me a day or so, but the husband thinks I am spending the whole weekend with him in the garden. So I'm planning an allnighter tonight. If I'm asleep in bed all day tomorrow, I won't be able to garden, will I?!

3 comments:

  1. Quilt looks great! Did you get it done on the weekend???? :)
    I just stumbled across your blog (I'm building mine at the moment). I too am a Canberra girl. I make quilts also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    Nice to read a quitly blog. A treat, and from Australia, too. I'm in my mid 30's, from Melbourne, and quit in between catering to a 2-year-old and catering to a 2-year-old.
    Have you checked the recent Spotlight sale? I've been having a fabric-acquiring 2 days, with my Dad starting it all by bringing a nice bundle of flowery ones (never used those, will have to try a colourwash). I've got a father who loves buying fabric, how is that for lucky?
    Izabela

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Michelle,

    I didn't know you had a blog, and I've just been enjoying reading it. I LOVE the fabrics you won and the ones you've bought to go with them...and the design is great! Have you started on it yet?

    Kali

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love reading your comments, but if you're anonymous please tell me who you are.