Saturday, April 19, 2008

Big cheese make me

Yet strangely, Nirvana songs were not going through my head as we pasteurised and heated and sliced and scooped and drained today on my cheese making course.

It was heaps of fun, quite relaxing and I made fetta!

Fetta

Our little trip to Melbourne was, as expected, four days of fantastic fun. I spent time with friends, including our Thornberry (who not only invited me over to her house, but made me coffee, fed me lunch and then showed me her truly amazing sewing room with views of the city. Thanks again Lara!). Sadly Christina got super busy moving house so we couldn't meet, but I still managed to do fabric shopping for Australia, as well as visit Meet Me At Mikes and the Rose St Artist Markets.


The most insane thing that happened to me was that I was asked five times on Monday for directions, like I was a local. I'm not too sure what part of me wasn't screaming out "Hello! I'm from Canberra via North Queensland!" but there you go. Just as odd was the fact that I could actually tell these people which tram stop to get off and which direction Johnston St was.

Since we returned to Canberra I've been laying low. I've had some big decisions to make concerning my work but that's not for the blog. I've also been having fun tackling this beanie.

Seismic Beanie

Pattern:
Seismic by Julie Armstrong Holetz.

Yarn: Cleckheaton Country Silk 8 ply

Hook: 5.5 mm

Notes: Which parent gave me this huge noggin? Sadly, this hat is too tight, but I will make another with a bigger hook and see how that goes.

8 comments:

  1. That is an AMAZING beanie Michelle!

    And your very own cheese! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That hat is great - it looks fabulous!

    And cheese! You made cheese! Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my freakin heck - you went on a cheese making course and this is the first I've heard of it!

    I need more DETAILS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cheese looks great. How cool that you can make it in a class! Your bigger beanie will be lovely, I was fondling the country silk at spotties yesterday but managed to resist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blessed are the cheesemakers and all manufacturers of dairy products. Nothing like making cheese to come over all Monty Python. I making your own fetta amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait to hear all about the cheesemaking course - you know how envious I am! And I *love* the hat, especially the colour!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Again, well done on the hat. I love the color and your stitchwork is beautiful. I also have a large noggin and worried about it affecting my design for average sized noggins. One suggestion for you so you don't have to make another right away. Either spray or wet block the hat first. I would run it quickly under cool water. Lay it on a folded towel and pin it down stretching it a little. It should dry a little larger than it in now. You can also try adding a little length if you need it in the same way.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love reading your comments, but if you're anonymous please tell me who you are.