Sunday, June 28, 2015

The City Lights Dress and a little Canberra Frocktail

When a sewer loses her confidence in sewing after more than 24 years of doing it, it takes some serious real-talk and pepping to get her back to her former sparkling self. This is what happened to me a few weeks ago. I made an Astoria top and it was a disaster. All over the internet people were making Astorias that look fantastic, and I couldn't get a simple muslin to be even close to fitting. Seams were taken in, shoulders were raised, but it just didn't work. My body measurements have changed recently, and now the usual shape I expect to sew for just isn't there anymore. And with that one simple, stupid top, all confidence I had went out the window.

Silly isn't it? As a beginner sewer 24 years ago I was self-drafting pinafores and making crazy crushed velvet knit tops. Making boxy Chanel jackets from raw silk. Inserting pockets in everything and pleating like a boss. Anyway thanks to a few friends who talked me down (one even extending her friendship to going through the online Simplicity, Butterick and McCalls catalogues with me via email one morning. Bless you Siobhan) I found a dress I thought could give me my confidence back, and also double as a Canberra Frocktails dress.

Simplicity 1466 - City Lights dress

It's Simplicity 1466, which on the packet photo has a top and skirt and pants, but over to the side in a teeny drawing, a dress.  A lovely, princess seamed, yoked, tabbed dress with a flared skirt and a certain vintage feel to it. No lining. No bodices. Plenty of seams to take in and take out if needed.

1466_fbv

Due to some time pressures at home and work, and being away for a week prior to Frocktails, I knew I wouldn't be able to cut it out until the Saturday before Frocktails. What I wasn't counting on though was injuring my back quite badly (again) the week I was away, and coming down with a chest infection and asthma the moment I hopped on the plane to come home. The spirit to sew was there, but my body let me down big time. I managed to cut the dress out on Saturday afternoon when I was still feeling ok, but sewing was done in five minute blocks eveery few hours in between naps. I didn't expect to finish the dress, but I wasn't stressed about it at all mainly because I was feeling too sick to give a toss.

Simplicity 1466 - City Lights dress

I finished stitching those buttons on at 10.20 pm on Friday night. It's a dress that could normally be cut and sewn within a few hours. 

Simplicity 1466 - City Lights dress

Construction wise, this dress was a bit of a doddle. Contrary to instructions, I basted all the seams first and tried it on without the yoke attached. Immediately I knew I would have an issue with the neckline gaping - I seem to be about two sizes smaller in the upper bust than the actual bust, and I have narrow shoulders. There wasn't too much I could do about it as I had no fabric spare to redraft the yoke, so I forged on. It worked out ok on the night but could have been better. I also did away with the zip. It was stretch sateen, so didn't really need the zip, but I also had to be clever about how I spent the time I could at the machine, so the zipper went out the window.

The fabric was a cotton sateen I picked up in Spotlight on Anzac Day when I went shopping with Siobhan and Kirsty. They are fantastic enablers. It reminded me immediately of city lights, kind of like this:

Sydney at night, from Potts Point

That was my view from my apartment in Sydney last week. 

Unfortunately the fabric was a complete disaster from the get-go. When I pre-washed it, it lost all of the sateen finish of the fabric - and I was left with lumpy, flat, dull, dusty looking fabric. Then when ironing it before cutting it out, noticed a lot of faults - brown streaks going all the way through the fabric. It wasn't in the pattern as it was irregular, and definitely a fault. By this time I lost my temper at the fabric and at Spotlight, especially as I could have found a replacement fabric in Sydney the week before, and also I wasn't in any state (with a bad back and laryngitis) to go back to Spotlight and argue the point with them. So I cut the fabric out and hoped for the best, and ignored the fact I'd ever seen the faults. This self-brainwashing seemed to work, because when doing the final press I couldn't find them anymore.

Overall I'm really happy with this dress and I will make it again but I will also take in the upper chest seams and redraft the yoke in response. The tabs are a visual replacement for a bodice - bodices on me tend to sit mid bust, not below the bust, and these just provide enough of a break in the dress to give it interest. I used vintage buttons from my collection. The top patternin the envelope has a sleeveless version, so I can see this being a summer staple in my work wardrobe.

Simplicity 1466 - City Lights dress

Photo by Myra.

Now, on to Frocktails. Some friends and I got together and decided to hold a Canberra Frocktails. For the uninitiated, Frocktails is where the online sewers of Australia get together to drink, eat and wear fabulous frocks they have sewn. There have been Frocktails held in Sydney and Melbourne before, but we thought hey, what would be great about holding a Frocktails in Canberra in the middle of winter?

Absoutely everything, we said. And we were right. It was a fantastic evening. We had 27 sewers from Canberra, Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane join us last night at Hotel Hotel.

Shoe game

Frocktails

Frocktails

Frocktails

Liz and I

With Liz. She was also wearing Simplicity, although vintage. I'm sure she'll blog about it.

So the sewing confidence is back, but I've realised in the last week I have an enormous stash that is scattered across the house and I'm starting to misplace fabric, like the lovely black ponte I was going to make a jacket from. No idea where it is, but this afternoon, as a hangover cure, I'll be sorting the piles and giving everything a bit of a spring clean. And then I will start cutting out things and actually sewing them to wear. Winter here in Canberra is long and cold and I'm desperate for some more warm clothing. Stay tuned!

16 comments:

  1. Michelle, you really looked beautiful last night and the pop of red accessories, including those stunning shoes topped off a brilliant outfit. I hope you make this dress again. It is a winner. Oh and how great are we for putting on such a great night!!! (Thanks for all your hard work again x) Go us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Kirsty thank you for saying such sweet things. Everyone looked absolutely beautiful and it was such a relaxing evening to kick back and enjoy the great company. Confession: after you left I took my red shoes off, and then couldn't get them back on again. Luckily I had a spare pair in my bag ...

      Delete
  2. Maybe you just needed a break from making clothes for a while. Sounds,like you had a fab evening too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I did, and I was probably overthinking it. Had a fabulous night - thanks!

      Delete
  3. You looked so smashing, Michelle! The simple lines were gorgeous and the pops of red were the icing on the fabulous cake :D Awesome work to Team CBR Frocktails for such an amazing (wine soaked!) evening :D Thank you for all your hard work- especially when ill! You rock xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simple lines were exactly what was required to get that sewing confidence back! And my ability to fit things! It was such a fantastic evening - lets do it all again next year! What a team!

      Delete
  4. Michelle, Oh my goodness, your sewing history sounds a lot like mine. Many years (and pounds) ago, I was a fearless sewing maniac. FAW (fear of wadders) has taken over and I dread facing my machines again. However, you have given me such inspiration. Five minutes at a time add up up, and perseverance does pay off. Dress looks great, and it looks like it was fun evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a horrible feeling when it happens isn't it Robin? Fear not - you can get it back too.

      Delete
  5. It's crazy how confidence can vanish in a single project. I'm glad you got back on the horse, and whipped the faulty fabric into line and came up with this awesome dress, It does look like city nights and is brilliant teamed with those red dancing shoes. I've never heard of Frocktails, a chance to dress up and party with sewers?? How do I get an invite to the next one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was only with a lot of support that I got back on the horse, for which I am truly grateful! I really do have the greatest friends. As for next year, just keep an eye on my blog - I neglected to mention it here because this blog is mostly quilting, but it was over on Amanda's blog because she has more readers ;) you'd be more than welcome!

      Delete
  6. Wow Michelle. You look amazing!!!! I so wish I has yr confidence in lots of ways!!! Haven't heard of Frocktails. Just look it up. Sounds like fun. And yes like Rachel how does one get invited to this next one!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephanie! I felt pretty amazing in this dress, which is half the battle isn't it? Like I said to Rachael , I'll advertise it on my blog next year. Was a bit lax on that front!

      Delete
  7. Michelle, I'm so glad you were able to finish this as the dress (and you in it) is a stunner. And those shoes! I must get my red mary janes out and get them stretched. They never fit right and always hurt my feet. I'm so glad you had a such a great outcome from this make.I think we all suffer from occasional loss of self-confidence, sometimes crippling, and with the help of our loved ones we can get back on that horse. Keep galloping my friend, keep galloping xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jillian! It was so good to finally meet you! Even if Canberra's fog tried really hard to make sure you never got here. Sewing confidence loss - pfft! I showed that sucker!

      Delete
  8. You look smashing in this dress, and have inspired me to give it a try! Hope you are better now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think one would be some kind of superhero never to get into a sewing funk & lack confidence in oneself & abilities! We all do (ummmmm having one now about a Melbourne Frocktails dress).
    I also have a stash that has mysteriously strewn itself across the house... and it talks to me as well... I'm not mad am I?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love reading your comments, but if you're anonymous please tell me who you are.