Sunday, July 3, 2011

A day in the country

Chef's Garden at Grazing at Gundaroo

Our friend Patricia, who I made a cowl for a few weeks ago, came to Canberra to visit this weekend to double check I survived the ordeal of the last few months (she was pleasantly surprised). It was a good excuse to do some touring around the region, even though Pat and I both moved here from North Queensland in 1991 and she only moved away 5 years ago.

But still - any excuse.

Kangaroo - Grazing at Gundaroo

We headed to a little town called Gundaroo for lunch at Grazing. It's our favourite place for lunch - the food is beautiful and the atmosphere relaxed. We always go to visit the chef's garden out the back before hopping back in the car to drive home again.

Did I mention the food? This is the parfait, and it tastes just like a Dutch delicatessan smells, all almondy and cinnamony and spicy.

Parfait - Grazing at Gundaroo

When Patricia arrived earlier in the day, I presented her with another scarf I had made her. The pattern is Solveig by EclatDuSoleil (Ravelled here). It's a crocheted baktus shawlette, worked from one side to the other and then a ruffled edge is crocheted on. It's all done in one piece, and you know what that means? Only two ends to weave in. Bonus.

Solveig scarf

I was ambivalent about the ruffled edge when I started it, not being much of a ruffly person, but once it started to form I was hooked (ha ha).  The yarn is hand dyed Fibrewebs Merino Silk in a luscious eggplant colour. I bought a couple of skeins of it from Carrie before she sold it at our July market stall last year. So glad I did. I love this yarn. I could marry it except I doubt it would make me cups of tea after dinner like the current yarn husband does.

Solveig scarf

I love making things for people who I love who I know are going to appreciate it. I've been making Patricia scarves and neckwarmers for years and she still wears them all. My sister-in-law sent me a photo yesterday of my baby nephew in his pram covered in the rainbow ripple blanket I crocheted his older brother back in 2007. Being a quilter and a crocheter, I get the chance to keep people warm, and that's a really nice feeling.

Solveig scarf

10 comments:

  1. Lovely. The colour of that yarn is gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! Love the ruffle =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definite case of the warm and fuzzies methinks! (especially with only two yarn ends to weave in)...

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, that food looks amazing, and what a huge chef's garden!

    The scarf is lovely - great colour and I think the ruffle is just right!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm Grazing... we went there for our wedding reception (very small) and it was lovely! The scarf is great too! I'm trying to understand crochet, but the more complicated things are beyond me ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The food looks divine! Only 1/2 hours drive, might have to take the MIL who is visiting this weekend!

    You are so clever, and it is nice to have people appreciate the handmade items you created especially for them...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Big fan of Grazing's food. And it's nice to do a little drive, on the way thinking of food. Scarfs - A1 as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a lovey day (that parfait looks like heaven!) and your scarf is beautiful! I love the colour and the ruffled edge. Gorgeous!

    Katie x

    ReplyDelete
  9. *Sq-eek*! The cowl is beautiful! Your crocheting is just gorgeous! And they are some lovely winter Canberra / Gundaroo shots.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Y.U.M to that desert ! ..mainly cause I'm dyeing for some lunch right now and that looks mighty appealing right about now...ahahha
    ..wonderful garden too.

    Your scarf is beautiful and a great colour - always so lovely to knit for people who you know will appreciate what goes in to something unique and one of a kind.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love reading your comments, but if you're anonymous please tell me who you are.