My friends had a beautiful baby girl in January, and I had promised at the preceding Crafternoonashower that I would make the baby something. Eventually. I was in the middle of house renovations, there was a severe heatwave at the time, and I was all out of time and ideas for anything, really. Let alone a baby.
I searched through my stash, and found a beautiful Layer Cake in the Jungle Bungle range, and thought it would be nice for a baby quilt. I loosely based this quilt on the Arithmetic pattern by in Color Order - I have made one of these quilts before, but out of yardage. I had to think about how best to use a layer cake.
I cut 6 x 3 inch squares out of each cake piece, and reserved the excess strips for a backing. I ended up making this entire quilt out of one layer cake, plus a little extra for the back and the binding.
I added grey strips to the back of the quilt - they look like roads and houses to me. I like the idea of Amelia one day racing her matchbox cars up the streets. (No I do not believe in gender stereotypes when it comes to kids! And neither do Amelia's parents.)
I used cotton batting, and quilted it with straight lines using Aurifil thread in grey. After binding, I washed it and put it in the dryer on the warm setting (I would have put it on the clothesline to dry, but our blacksmithing neighbour was making fire that day and no one needs a smoky quilt (or clothes for that matter #shakesfist)). It crinkled up beautifully, as you'd expect from unshrunken cotton batting. It made for a beautiful soft and cuddly quilt.
I really enjoyed making this quilt. I doubt it will be the last Arithmetic quilt I make, and I already have my eye on another layer cake.
(I'm joining in (a day late) with Gemma's I Quilt linky party!)