Sunday, September 21, 2014

Back to sewn

I have sewn my own clothes since I was 21. I've had a couple of years here and there where I haven't sewn a thing, but yeah. 23 years of sewing clothes. This makes me kind of proud that I've stuck with something so long.

image

And I still love it.

image

You'd think that in 23 years of dressmaking, I'd have learned a thing or two. But no - I still count myself as being at the beginner stage. That's not me being self-deprecating - it's actually true. I occasionally think I would like to do a course in sewing, like my friends Amanda and Jen, but then I realise I really am more than happy bumbling along with the same old skills my mum taught me, and the same old patterns I've been using for years.

(Actually 23 years ago I was sewing with knits and altering my patterns to add sleeves, but somewhere along the way I lost my confidence in that. I've only just recently starting doing the knit and altering thing again, and I love it.)

image

On Thursday I left work early (4.30 pm is apparently early) to come home and just sew something that wasn't a bag or a quilt. I wanted something for me. (The fact I was cleaning out the spare room the week before and noticed my sizeable stash may or may not have something to do with this drive.)

image

But in searching for my fool-proof skirt pattern, I noticed it was already pinned onto other fabric. So I marked the darts, unpinned it, put the pieces aside and used the pattern to cut a second skirt.  Win win.

image

Right now I'm at the finishing stage for both skirts. I have the hem pinned of a nifty little denim corduroy number which will be very handy for a wee holiday we are taking soon to colder climes.

image

And the citrus skirt is waiting for waist facing top stitching, and a little hemming. It's a gorgeous stretch cotton sateen and I have fully lined it, so it's a heavy little beast. The jury is out on whether to hand sew the hem or machine it down. Given I've done a slipshod made-up skirt lining with the overlocker, I'm thinking it's not worth going to the extra effort of hand stitching.

Anyway, the point of this post (and there was a point, I think) was that I am sewing clothes again and I am loving it so much. I feel clever, and on top-of-the-world. Yeah, yeah. Pride comes before the fall. But I am taking my time, and crafting clothes that fit me properly, and there is no better feeling. It's all due to this amazing sewing community - both online and real life - I have become a part of. These wonderful people are the best sources of inspiration for me.

Maybe soon I will sew something that isn't Simplicity 9193 though. I'm feeling the urge.

10 comments:

  1. Yay! Good for you!! That yellow fabric is such a great shade of yellow. I have a shelf of fabrics I've bought for skirts but somehow the day to actually sew them hasn't arrived yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just at that "just bloody get on with it, but do a good job if you're bothering" stage. It's actually been a blast! No pressure on myself ...

      Delete
  2. I cannot wait to see you in that yellow skirt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm considering forgoing the customary post-make wash, and wearing it tomorrow to work!

      Delete
    2. Yes!!! And a picture please?

      Found your blog recently, am really enjoying it. I'm a quilter. I wear skirts and boots all the time when it's cool, and am getting up the nerve to tackle making one. Haven't used a pattern since school when I was a total non-sewer. I'm short so only one style and length of skirt suits me, and if I could crack my pattern-phobia I'd be in skirt heaven....

      Sal x

      Delete
  3. I do that too- use the same pattern over and over again. Mine is Amy Butlers Barcelona Aline Skirt. Easy and simple and countless ways to make it!!!! Love the yellow I've never been bold enough to wear it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many great prints out there these days, there is no need to sew different patterns! Have you seen the blog "A Million Dresses"? It's amazing - she's found the perfect dress pattern for her, and makes it up in amazing prints. So far she's done about seven out of cotton and steel prints. So cool!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I'm singing the Queen song "Don't Stop Me Now" everytime I get sewing! It's like this sudden rush of sewjo!

      Delete
  5. That yellow is a show stopper !!!! Can't wait to see it finished.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love reading your comments, but if you're anonymous please tell me who you are.