Saturday, August 30, 2008

Keep your head together

Demon squirrel needle book

My customers are so clever and this needlebook is one example of that. A certain demon squirrel mitten knitting friend commissioned a demon squirrel needle book using red or blue felt, with red or blue fabric for the squirrel. We put our heads together came up with something even better, using blue felt on the outside, red felt on the insides, and red thread and fabric. It gives a kind of harlequin effect.

Demon squirrel needle book

I like it. I hope Bron likes it. I think there might be more snazzy needlebooks in different colours soon.

In another example of how clever you all are, I noticed that people had started using the sunnyboy bags as sock project bags. I could never recommend this as I thought they would be too small, and the zipper would make it too awkward - instead I recommended them to be used for storing your ephemera and sewing notions.

When a few of us got together a couple of weeks ago, out came all these sunnyboys holding sock projects. I was initially horrified - and then I realised how genius it was, as everything fitted well, the bag sat flat on the table, and the zipper didn't catch on anything. That's when I realised I hadn't actually made a sunnyboy for myself recently (other than the first
little one a couple of months ago) and I needed to make one. Right. Now. But first I had to find the perfect fabric for it.

Skulls sunnyboy

Skulls sunnyboy

And there you go - it fits a sock project.

Fits a sock project

I've been a long-time listener of Craft Sanity podcasts, and this week I had the fortune to listen to Jennifer interview Emily Martin of The Black Apple fame. I know some of my friends are looking into launching a craft business as well, and I can't recommend this interview highly enough. Emily has taught me a few things which are pertinent to my own business, including keeping your sources and your technique a mostly-guarded secret (oh, the stories I could tell!). And to never let Martha Stewart work out your income with a calculator so she can blab on her show.


Lady beatle

Finally, I wanted to sincerely thank you for your get-well messages, and also the couple of visits I got over the last two days. I'm still not very well, and I don't think I will be for some time but I am getting a little better every day. I have learned I need to be patient, and as we all know, patience is not a virtue I possess. Caring friends, though? Those I have by the bucketload. I'm very lucky.

14 comments:

  1. My sunnyboy has been on sock duty since day1!! Perfect size for magic loop socks I think...Lurve the skull&crossbones!
    Glad you're getting better! Take it easy ok?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving those skull and crossbones!

    Package safely rec'd by my mother, she was very intrigued she wasn't allowed to open this one.

    I shall be back to etsy soon looking for more Xmas pressies.

    glad to hear you are on the mend. do give yourself time to recover, it takes so much longer than we allow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic fabric for a sunny boy. I love mine, it's actually my doo-dads bag in my handbag for the chap stick, chocs, buttons, etc. LOVE it. Superb item. Hope you feel better - J

    ReplyDelete
  4. great needle case. I'm sure Bron will adore it.

    Oh and the sunnyboy bag has also been a great lace project. My lace pi shawl scrunches down really small and my SB bag has been its home for some weeks!

    Get well soon! Miss seeing you around!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That skull fabric is FABULOUS!! I'm not really a skull type of person but I love that they are striped and spotted!

    Am totally sure Bron will love demon squirrel needle book.

    And glad you are feeling a bit better, hope that continues!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure Bron will adore the squirrel - s/he looks great.

    Glad to hear your on the mend too - make sure you take it easy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the skull and crossbones (maybe if you still have the fabric next month.....) and my sunnybiy is definitely up for sock duty! Fell a million bucks soon! (and thanks for the curvalicious sisterhood - some good stuff going on there!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you are feeling a little bit!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My sunnyboy has been great for the Beech Wood cowl and my mitten project - the zip certainly doesn't get in the way! And if you leave the yarn in the bag then it doesn't roll around while you're knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the skull fabric!! We're big on pirates around here. :-) Very cute needle case, too.

    I just got a sewing machine!! Oh sewing goddess, do you have any suggestions on projects I can learn on? Sort of the sewing equivalent of a garter stitch scarf?

    Yes, it will take some time. We tend to think that appendix are just a little organ, and they do it laproscopically nowadays, how bad can the recovery be? But take all the time in the world, because it will make things easier in the long run. Rest well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks for stopping by my new blog. i love the collaborated needlebook, Im sure it will be loved and the sunnyboy with skulls looks awesome too. from what i can see you are one very talented person!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. D'Arcy saw the pirate fabric and was besotted! Will keep checking the shop to see if you have it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I watched that ep of Martha & I remember thinking that I wouldn't be happy with Martha blabing stuff like that!! people think that turnover=profit, which is NOT the case!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is an awesome needle thread holder! I love it! And the bag is cool, too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love reading your comments, but if you're anonymous please tell me who you are.