Monday, August 18, 2008

When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie

On Saturday night I was determined to make home made pizza, down to the dough and everything. So I cracked open my domestic goddess bible, flipped to page 315 and went from there.

Page 315 is Pizza Casareccia. Nigella says you can substitute the ingredients, and even though I don't need Nigella's permission to do anything of the sort, I did -mainly because I don't fancy pizza with anchovies and gherkins. I used these toppings instead.

Ingredients

I started with the base - I didn't have any olive oil left so used canola instead. There isn't much oil in the dough - only a couple of tablespoons, but it gives the dough a lovely glossy and chewy consistency. And then after a couple of hours, the pizza evolved to this. It's a very odd shape because as I've mentioned before, I am completly uncoordinated and pushing that pizza into a uniform shape was beyond me.

The base and tomato before it went in the oven

After the base had cooked it looked like this:

Pizza base - cooked

(That's not blur - it's steam)

And ten minutes later I had this. It was gone in 20 minutes, but I've promised I will make it again.

The final product

20 comments:

  1. Looks yummy. I love homemade pizzas too but I use Labanese bread as base I am too lazy to make them. By the way, I just saw the Sunnyboy that Rose Red bought & will like to buy one from you. I will like the white one with the birds & socks. Can you email me if you can make one - annlim@iinet.net.au
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks fabulous! The shape is great. You call it rustic :)

    I like making dough too. In the warmer weather I found that it proved really well on the car bonnet, if I had just been out somewhere. A bit unorthodox, but just the right temperature to get that yeast going!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks delicious!! Yum... I want pizza now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, how yum is that???? We make our pizza dough in the breadmaker, lazy, I know, but the hand made dough looks artisian!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! I cheat and make my pizza dough in the bread maker and then ply with it - but that looks SOOOOOOOOOOO nice - oh yum - now I'm hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anyone who makes a base from scratch is a superstar in my eyes. I generally just cheat and use a flat bread. Or else do a bigger cheat and call the pizza shop down the road!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love homemade pizza--it's one of my staple dinners, especially when we need a quick one. I haven't bought pizza dough in years and years. I use the recipe in the Moosewood Cookbook, and the boys love it. It's very satisfying to make your own dough, isn't it? And I find it easier to work with than the store-bought kind, which is too sticky for my liking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. mmm that looks delish!
    I agree - homemade pizza is ace! =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. mmmm, pizza.... I really must get our oven fixed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thats a winner! I'm salivating!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Are you looking for a guest spot on MoH as well??!! YUM! Love homemade pizza - especially the ability to sub your own toppings. Fab-o!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Michelle, I've had a wonderful day.
    And sounds like you're keen for the 50's fair if you are willing to do a day trip from Canberra or you could wait till next year and do a long weekend up this way and have a fantastic saturday lunch at Cafe Sydney oh I know you would like to go there as well!

    ReplyDelete
  13. oops i drooled on my keyboard....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ditto to what RR said re guest spotting!

    I have made that pizza, with almost the real ingredients in the book but some deviation. It's lovely. Totally love making the base!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been very into making pizza this summer. I put in the dough in the morning and let it rise and then sometimes I grill it when it is too hot out to turn on the oven. I'll have to try this pizza!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That looks so good! I have Celiace Disease, so eat with my eyes. Who cares the shape? This way, you have more crust pieces.
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow. Yum. And pre-baking the base, what a great idea, that would beat the sogs for sure! I love making pizza too, and mine end up the same shape as yours. It's the best shape, really.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That looks so incredibly good. Really, really, really, good! For those of us who have not evolved to the point of owning a Nigella bible, can you please post/email the recipe?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love reading your comments, but if you're anonymous please tell me who you are.