Sunday, August 3, 2008

This is ... my trade secret

PICT1203

1. Use the right needle for the right job. I'm really serious about this. And change your needle regularly. It's the first thing I do when my machine or fabric starts acting up, and each time I kick myself that I didn't change it earlier.

PICT1212

2. Get to know your sewing machine feet. They look scary and totally impractical, but they really want to be your friends!

3. Listen to the advice of friends, no matter how much you like to think you know it all. You don't have to take the advice, but just listening can be more helpful and more inspiring than you could imagine.

4. This isn't a craft trade secret, this is a blogging trade secret. For goodness' sake, if you blog about your work and your workmates in a negative way, and people know or can guess where you work, you're taking big risk. Never heard of
Dooce? The term "dooced"? Go and familiarise yourself.

Thanks to Three Buttons, and thanks to Amelia as well!

9 comments:

  1. Thanks to your fantastic needle advice a couple of weeks ago, I went straight down to Spotlight and actually looked at all the different types of needles....I now have jeans, stretch and universal. I still have a long way to go to learn about the different feet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I promise tot ake ther needle and foot advice to heart. And no, I'd never heard of being dooced. You learn something every day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great trade secrets! I can't wait to have a gander at your blog too, looks great. Thanks for sharing your secrets, the last one sounds like it can be painful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good good advice! Listening is sooo important, even if, as you say, in the end you don't take the advice.

    Same with #4. God forbid ever being dooced. I'm not keen myself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great trade secrets about the needles and feet. I have been admiring the collection of sewing machine feet that you have! I'd never heard of being dooced ... I'd better take care of what I say about Mr HB in case I get fired from being chief cook and bottle washer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this is stuff I so need to learn!!! Honestly, for a long time, I thought that you only changed a needle once it broke. I really need to learn which needles and which feet got with what....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd never heard of "dooced" either...as you say, you'd have to be a big fool to write about work and think people wouldn't join the dots!

    ReplyDelete
  8. considering i snapped about 5 needles on my last 'faux' quilting project, im taking your trade secret and running.

    must change needles regularly and not try and bend them back into shape.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I completely agree with your trade secret about the needles in particular! New project, new needle. Actually, all your trade secrets are fantastic ones.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love reading your comments, but if you're anonymous please tell me who you are.