Monday, June 7, 2010

Green shawls

The fifth shawl for the year was actually a test pattern. I offered to test a pattern called "Heron Shawl" for a girl on Ravelry who had created this beautiful shawl, showed it off on the crochet thread of the Shawls forum, and thought she might like to offer it as a pattern. I had done some testing before for a designer, but not a full pattern.

Green Heron Shawl

This was a lot of fun to crochet. As it was a test, I had a few problems with the amount of yardage used, and a couple of row instructions. I could have finished it in two days if I hadn't needed to ask questions of a designer on the other side of the world, but I'm not complaining. This was my favourite shawl yet.

Heron Shawl

In the end, you are left with a crumped mess of fabric. The beauty is in the wet blocking - you end up with a shallow curved shawl with beautiful stitches, the ribs looking like the wings of a heron, hence the name. The yarn I used was Wollmeise Twin 80/20 in Farn. The green doesn't come out very well in the photos, but it's the same green as the dark green pencil in your coloured pencil set. I really love it. It's bold and bright and looks great worn with black. I'm keeping it.

Heron Shawl

While Shawl number 6 slumbers while I think about how big I want to make it, Shawl number 7 was a project with a deadline. When I asked my friend to hypothetically pick the yarn for the hypothetical shawl that I might be hypothetically making her, she picked a variegated green in Cascade Heritage Painted sock yarn, colour "Forest". Originally this yarn was being made into another pattern for my friend. I started it last Saturday in Melbourne, but by Tuesday night I had only progressed about 9 rows. My quilting group (that rarely quilts but are nifty with hooks and needles) came over that night, saw that I was hating the pattern, and kindly ripped it out for me, instructing me to find another pattern. I chose Flying Diamonds, just like my first shawl.

Shawl number 7 - for Tash

in the end it took me only four days to crochet. It was a battle to finish in the end, but I had it blocked by midnight on Saturday night to give it a day to dry. I hope she likes it. I think she will.

Shawl number 7 - for Tash

9 comments:

  1. wow, you are steaming along with your shawls!

    I love the heron one - the shape especially - must queue it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful - the Heron, the Flying Diamonds and the yarns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those shawls are flying off your hooks! Well done they are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im loving all the shawls and the colours! All yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michelle you are DEFINITELY the shawl queen! They're both beautiful. I'm working on an All Shawl at the moment as my train crochet - not far off being finished!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are the most beautiful shawls , love them 1

    ReplyDelete
  7. oooh i love these both!
    that green wm is SO vibrant!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. A round of applause for your article post. Thanks Again. Keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are a shawl machine!

    The green of the heron shawl goes so nice with the pretty red leaves.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love reading your comments, but if you're anonymous please tell me who you are.