Thursday, January 19, 2012

Maxi cheesy mini quiches


Mini quiches


In my last week of holidays, Cam and I had a bit of an online baconpalooza, Instagramming our photos of baconny goodness to each other each day. It was possibly the best week of my life.

I had a lot of comments on the mini quiches I made, so I though I should share the recipe. My brother showed me how to make these many years ago and I've been making them ever since, so all credit goes to him. They freeze well, making them perfect for school work lunches. And if you have leftover vegies or smallgoods in your fridge, these are perfect for using those up.


You will need:

  • 3 sheets of puff pastry, thawed
  • 5 eggs
  • milk
  • Fillings.* (I used 3 rashers of bacon, a couple of green onions/shallots and 3/4 cup grated tasty cheese)

Mini quichesPreheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius, and grease a 12 cup muffin tin.

Remove rind and fat, and dice the bacon. Fry until cooked/crispy. In the meantime chop up the shallots. Remove the bacon from the pan and wilt the shallots. I add a little cracked pepper to the shallots, but that's a personal preference. Remove shallots from heat and let both cool a little.

Mini quiches

Cut 4 circles from each pastry sheet. If you use a 10 cm diameter ramekin this works perfectly! Then cut a slit from the centre of the circle to the outside. Place each circle inside the muffin hole, and press down gently, overlapping the pastry as required. Don't press down too much. Relaxed is what you want.

Mini quiches

In each muffin hole distribute bacon, shallots and cheese evenly.

Mini quiches

Lightly beat the eggs in a measuring jug, then mix in enough milk to bring it to about 450 ml. You may have bit left over, but better too much than not enough. The more fillings you put in the muffin holes, the less egg mix you will require.

Mini quiches

Carefully pour the egg mix into each hole. Make sure you don't go above the levee bank of pastry! MESSY!

Place in oven for 20-25 mins, until the top is no longer wobbly and it is golden brown.

Mini quiches

Cool in tin for 10 mins and then pop out of the tin and cool on a rack. Or eat. Whatever suits you! They are lovely warm or cold. With salad or scoffed all by themselves.

Mini quiches

* Other ideas for fillings: caramelised onions and blue cheese; spinach and fetta; chicken and leek; ham, cheese and capsicum. Let your imagination go wild!

6 comments:

  1. This look delicious Michelle. And so easy. I did something similar with tart mixture ~ same but with cream ~ and leftover Christmas ham. My kids gobbled them up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I'm soooooo missing baconpalooza. I think I may be having withdrawals. These look absolutely divine. I think a trip to the supermarket might be on the cards tomorrow (can't believe I didn't buy bacon at the butchers today...doh)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yummy! i think we'll be quiching this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. michelle, these look delicious! definitely on the menu for next week. i've got a whooooooooole lot of stuff in my fridge that could fill a little quiche :D
    thanks for sharing :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! I´m pinnng these mini´s, they look absolutely delicious! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Going to whip some of these up today (Australia Day) - in-between sewing (hopefully) and doing class prep (have to!!!)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love reading your comments, but if you're anonymous please tell me who you are.