Thursday, November 25, 2010

Shoot

A couple of months ago my DSLR friend suggested we do a photography course together. We started a couple of weeks ago, and I'm learning so much!

Part of our homework this week was to take three photos of the same subject, but with different apertures. In terms that are easy (for me to understand especially), it kind of means how blurry your background is when you change the f-stop on your camera. Well, not really, but that's the effect you get. For instance, check out the differences in these three photos:

f/4.5
f/4.5

f/9.0
f/9.0

IMG_3321
f/18.0 (with the ISO (light sensitivity) bumped up to 1600 as the photos were too dark otherwise.)

My DSLR buddy and I were having lunch at a Japanese joint when I took these photos. When our meal was served, it look so beautiful (and delicious) I had to take a photo!

Pork Loin in Ramen Soup

(that's pork schnitzel (also known as deep fried pork lion (sic)) in ramen soup, thank you very much) (also - a good demonstration of the aperture being f/4.0)

So this week in class we learnt all about shutter speed. My slow shutter speed photos were crapalicious, but my fast shutter speed photos turned out OK considering the low light.

IMG_3951

It's exciting finally knowing something about the camera I have, and all the wonderful things that it can do. If only it would make cups of coffee for me in the morning it might almost be the perfect husband.

5 comments:

  1. Yum! That looks delish!
    Your photos are gorgeous - I love the bubbles! =)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. The course sounds great and I agree, the photos are really good. Can't wait to see what else you learn. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos Michelle, the enoki mushrooms look really good in your ramen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. completely unrelated - but a follow up to your comment on my blog - i made hamburger patties from the same greek meatball mince mix and then instead of serving it on buns we parboiled potatoes and then grilled slices of them on the bbq (at the same time as the burgers) and served the burgers on the potato, with salad, onions, cheese etc on top. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh. Your photos are lovely, especially the bubbles one! I keep meaning to do something like this. I have a good DSLR, which I can occasionally take a good pic with, but use the auto setting a lot ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love reading your comments, but if you're anonymous please tell me who you are.