Friday, May 8, 2009

Loot, Glorious Loot - Days 2,3,4 and 5

Well, that was a bit disappointing, wasn't it? A nasty back strain on Tuesday became a big neck pain on Wednesday became a sore left knee on Thursday became a flare-up of my usual foot problem. Nice. Thank heavens for lovely massage therapists and my old pal, Mr Ibuprofen!

So I'm behind with my lootage reportage. Here's days 2 and 3, and you're going to have to be happy with this lot for the rest of the week.*

Kaffe Fassett books

On one of my trips to Melbourne this year, I popped into Readings at Carlton (as an aside, is there a better store than Readings Carlton? That, and Mary Ryan in Paddington Qld, Kinokuniya in Sydney and Powells Books in Portland Oregon would rate as my top four bookstores.) Anyway, I popped in and popped back out again sometime later with a hop in my step as I'd found and purchased my fifth Kaffe Fassett quilting book to add to my collection.

Kaffe Fassett book

I love Kaffe Fassett quilting books. They are a total riot of colour and appeal to my "break the rules" quilting methodology. His guest quilt designers, like Mary Mashuta, are quilters that I have always admired. I love the stories that go with the quilts. And the photography is always top notch, probably because Kaffe is the art director as well.

Kaffe Fassett book

I went to a lecture that Kaffe gave in Canberra a couple of years ago, existing Kaffe books in hand for signing. At one point he mentioned that he didn't sew quilts and there was an audible gasp from the adoring quilters. But I didn't care - the man has designed the most stunning fabric, and put together a collection of really amazing publications. Plus he is very good looking. He doesn't need to sew quilts as far as I'm concerned.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Let's now pretend it's day 3. This was the day I was going to tell you how much I love buying stuff from Japan. The packaging is always amazing, you often get little extras, and there always seems to be an aura of friendliness and joy that pop out of the envelope when you open it up!

Case in point:

PICT3183

I bought some fabric from A Little Goodness on Etsy, and what I got was fabric, cute paper bags, some fabric tape and reusable paper wrapping. And the cutest little note.

To top it all off, the fabric I received was pretty nice too!

PICT3186
PICT3189

* Today I may have bought some Saffron Craig fabric online. Then a couple of hours later I may have gone back and bought some more. It's for a quilt, for me. And maybe a bag too. I haven't decided yet. But I will share (photos of) the loot when it arrives, hopefully next week.

5 comments:

  1. I hope your back and knee and foot are all on the mend now! Might be best to spend the weekend snuggled up on the couch with something crafty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you feel much better soon (although loot always helps!)

    And Saffron craig stuff may have arrived at my house in the last week or so. But I admit nothing.

    It's all your fault anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope your on the mend now QM ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saffron Craig is GUARANTEED to make you feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of lovely loot! The fabric is fantastic and Kaffe Fassett! Love his fabrics and colour - those quilt books are just amazing. I may never make a quilt but I may eventually buy all of his books because they are just so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love reading your comments, but if you're anonymous please tell me who you are.