Monday, September 22, 2008

Soup Swap - September

I've joined in on Soup Swap '08 over at Jessica's blog. She's over in New York and they are coming into Fall right now, while here in the sunny south-east of Australia it's all about the blossoms, dust storms and hayfever.

But I love a good soup, so here goes with the first month. This soup is so easy and so delicious - it has very few ingredients, and within half an hour you have lunch!

Kumara and Red Lentil Soup - 1

Kumara and Lentil Soup
(serves 4)

2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 small onion, chopped
300 g peeled and chopped kumara (red sweet potato)
1 cup red lentils, very well rinsed
3 1/2 cups water
1 large vegetable stock cube
salt, pepper

Kumara and Red Lentil Soup - 2

In a large saucepan, heat the oil and add the onion, stirring until softened. Add the chopped kumara, lentils, water and stock cube and bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer and put the saucepan lid on for 20 minutes, or until the kumara is soft and cooked.

Kumara and Red Lentil Soup - 3

Take the pot off the heat and allow to cool a little. Use your mouli, or your stab mixer, and puree the soup until it is very smooth. This is the point where you add more water, depending on how thin you want your soup, and also season for flavour. I only ever add freshly ground pepper, as the stock cube does most of the salting in this dish.

Return the pot to the heat and bring back up to serving temperature. Serve with a little natural yoghurt and chopped chives (but this soup doesn't really need either - it's delicious by itself).


Kumara and Red Lentil Soup - 4

Enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. Yumo, I love lentils, sweet potato and one pot wonders!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We make this one - it is great . We add chilli to ours and cumin - I love it !

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds so wonderful and the presentation is beautiful! After reading all these recipes, I'll be making lots of soup! :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yum - that looks great. I'm going to give it a go. Red lentils make any soup good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love lentil soup...and I like sweet potatoes! This sounds so yummy! Thanks for joining in with the Soup Swap!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh two of my favourite ingredients. Hey how come you kumara and not sweet potato?

    ReplyDelete
  7. That soup looks delicious, I must give it a try the next time we have a day like the miserable Monday we just had!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love reading your comments, but if you're anonymous please tell me who you are.