Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Walking on the sidewalk, hotter than a match head

Being a girl from the tropics who never coped very well in the tropical heat, it took me about 35 years to understand that body comfort is a state of mind. If you ignore the heat, you won't feel as hot. Thermometers in the house are just silly and really, asking for trouble.

Please note that I have obviously not grasped this theory to it's full extent. Because since I've been back from Queensland, I've been hot. Bloody hot. Roasting like a turkey hot. Hotter than a boiled fruit cake.

Today is a bit more pleasant though - only 33 degrees apparently. So I have been trying to make some progress on my shawl. At the moment I'm making reverse progress - a lot of frogging has been done and I'm not talking about those noisy buggers in my pond.

The veggie patch is bolting away and tonight will be another dinner of sugar-snap-something. I've never had a vegetable patch before as we only had a townhouse with smallish courtyard gardens and lots of shade, although I've always been an obsessive gardener.

Eggplant flower

Remember how my eggplants had their leaves stripped by some little hungry mite? Well, garlic spray seems to have had the desired effect. Then there's:

Capsicum Roma tomatoes Butternut pumpkin Godzilla of the snowpea world
(Click to get bigger picture)

Clockwise from Top Left: Capsicum, more roma tomatoes than I'll know what to do with, Godzilla Snowpea (what happens when you don't pick them for weeks). and butternut pumpkin.

I'm off work until the 7th, but I'll be filling my days with swimming laps with the girls, post-swimming coffees, a little op-shopping and a lot of sitting-on-my-arse-not-doing-much-at-all. There will also be a long weekend trip to Sydney to avoid the hell that is Summernats.

I'll be seeing you on the other side, hopefully with a completed shawl. Happy new year to all my blogging pals!

5 comments:

  1. welcome home and glad to see you had a great holiday. i miss a lot of things about canberra but summer is not one of them!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh those veggies! The capsicum looks awesome!!
    And ugh Summernats!
    Getting out of here sounds like a very good idea! =) xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one giant snowpea! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow your garden is looking great - no sign of fruit on my capsicums yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm jealous, I wish for a veggie garden and yours looks sooo good.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love reading your comments, but if you're anonymous please tell me who you are.